A choice of two tours – a short one in the centre of the town or a longer one taking in a visit up the hill to Plas Newydd, the fascinating house of the ‘Ladies of Llangollen’.
(1) Looking at the heart of Llangollen – an introductory guided walking tour
The tour, which lasts approximately 45 minutes, is an easy gentle stroll on flat ground around the central part of the town. The walk takes you to the quiet back streets of Llangollen and highlights parts of the town which you might otherwise miss.
- Start from the former chapel, now a lovely Art Gallery/Tourist Information Centre
- Stroll down past the attractive mill to the river to hear all about the bridge, one of the ‘Wonders of Wales’
- Walk in the steps of the ‘Ladies of Llangollen’ passing the old coaching inns to hear the legend of the ‘red hand’
- Amble along the attractive streets to discover other buildings then visit the church, named after the saint from whom the town gets its name
- Then return passing interesting traditional shops – back to the buzzing main street.
(2) Ladies of Llangollen – a guided walking tour where you discover about the intriguing lives of the ladies and their visitors.
The tour which lasts approximately 90 minutes, starts with a stroll around the central part of the town and continues up a steep hill to Plas Newydd, the beautiful home of the Ladies of Llangollen set in stunning grounds. The walk is an extended version of the shorter tour – on which you will find out about the unconventional lives of Eleanor Butler and Sarah Ponsonby.