Step back in time – a guided walking tour in Loggerheads Country Park
The tour lasts about an hour and half. It starts with a stroll along the River Alyn, then a steep climb to the views at the top of limestone cliffs -followed by a steep descent down the steps to the tea gardens. Explore the wonderful history, nature and geology of this site in the Clwydian Range Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
- Start from the Clwydian Range Centre in the old tea gardens and take a look at Pentre Corn Mill
- See the limestone cliffs formed over 320 million years ago where sea creature fossils can be found
- Stroll along the River Alyn to see the remains of the lead mining industry which dominated the whole of this area for several hundred years
- Look for the ‘swallow holes’ which suck the river underground
- See the limestone pavement with its rare and special habitat- such as rockrose – and enjoy the marvellous views of the Clwydian Range
- Look at the Stone placed in 1763 to mark the county boundary after a long mining dispute – and also reputed to bear the hoof print of King Arthur’s horse.
- Then return down steep steps to the tea gardens- a favourite picnic spot for over 100 years – and have refreshments at the True Taste of Wales award-winning Caffi Florence.