A choice of two guided walking tours – a short one in the Trevor Basin to see the amazing Aqueduct or a longer tour walking across the whole aqueduct and underneath it. Also a minibus/coach tour visiting sites along the whole 11 mile length of the World Heritage Site. Tours can also be arranged to cross the Aqueduct in a narrow boat.
(1) The Amazing Aqueduct – a introductory guided tour
The tour, which lasts about 30 minutes, is a very easy short stroll on flat ground around the Trevor Basin and the start of the awe-inspiring Pontcysyllte Aqueduct built by Thomas Telford.
- Find out why it was built and what makes it special
- Discover the genius of Telford
(2) Along the Stream in the Sky – a guided walking tour along and around the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct
The tour, which lasts approximately an hour, is a gentle stroll around the Trevor Basin with a look beneath the aqueduct on slightly steep rough ground. Then a walk across the whole length of the Aqueduct – for which you need a head for heights. An exhilarating experience!
- Discover the details of the construction
- Experience the fantastic views from the Aqueduct over the River Dee valley
- Look at the embankment – which was the biggest earthwork in the UK when it was built
Also Telford’s World Heritage Site – the whole works. Go on a tour by minibus/coach to visit sites along the whole 11 mile length of the World Heritage Site and marvel at Telford’s achievements. See the beginning of the World Heritage Site in the beautiful setting of the Horseshoe Falls at Llantysilio and go all the way to Chirk to see another aqueduct built by Thomas Telford